The Great Teacher of Time, the Mayan Calendar and the Thirteen Moon Calendar(cont.)
Part 2: Biography and Bibliography
Part 3: Videos/DVD's and Audio | Part 1: Overview
by Scott Mowry
JOSÉ ARGÜELLES OFFICIAL BIOGRAPHY:
Messenger of the Law of Time: José Argüelles aka Valum Votan
Perhaps best known for his role in initiating the world famous Harmonic Convergence global peace meditation of August 16-17, 1987, José Argüelles was also one of the originators of the Earth Day concept and is recognized as the “father of the Whole Earth Festival,” now in its 33rd year at Davis, California.
Holding a Ph.D. in art history and aesthetics from the University of Chicago (1969) José’s career as an educator has included professorships at Princeton University, University of California Davis, the Evergreen State College, Olympia Washington, the Naropa Institute, San Francisco State University, the University of Colorado and the Union Graduate School.
An artist as well as an author, his numerous books include the international best seller, "The Mayan Factor," "Earth Ascending," "Surfers of the Zuvuya," "The Arcturus Probe" and the recently published "Time and the Technosphere: The Law of Time in Human Affairs."
A spiritual seeker, José studied Tibetan Buddhism for many years with noted meditation master, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, yet feels it is important to break out of the shell of all organized religion and establish what he calls a “return to UR - the Universal Religion.”
But it is his pioneering research of the Mayan calendar system that has absorbed his energies most passionately. Ever since he had a visionary experience at the age of fourteen atop the Pyramid of the Sun, Teotihuacan, Mexico in 1953, he has pursued a lifelong investigation of the mathematics and prophecies associated with the Mayan calendar.
His explorations and deciphering of the Mayan calendar has resulted in an interactive game called "Dreamspell - the Journey of Timeship Earth 2013," (a universalized expression of the mathematics of the Mayan Calendar for modern humanity), and the discovery of the Law of Time. According to the Law of Time, modern humanity is in trouble because it is immersed in an erroneous and artificial perception of time which causes it to deviate at an accelerated rate from the natural order of the universe. To remedy this situation, Argüelles has been promoting the return to a natural timing cycle through the regular measure of the Thirteen Moon 28-day calendar.
Since the end-date of the current Great Cycle of the Mayan calendar is in the year 2012, in order to survive the worst, humanity must make a shift to natural time - and soon. According to Argüelles, the time for this shift is from July 26, 2004 through July 26, 2012, the Great Calendar Change, when he is calling upon humanity to reject the current calendar and adopt the natural time Thirteen Moon 28-day calendar.
Currently serving as the President of the Foundation for the Law of Time - the organization that promotes his cause - Argüelles was honored on March 3, 2002 as “Valum Votan, Closer of the Cycle” by Nine Indigenous Elders atop the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan who awarded him a ceremonial staff for his efforts in helping to wake humanity up to the meaning of 2012.
[ top of page ]
JOSÉ ARGÜELLES BIBLIOGRAPHY
José Argüelles has been a prolific and tireless author, having produced over sixteen books since 1987. For his incredible "Cosmic History Chronicles" series, he has committed to releasing a new book each year up until 2012. Thus far, he has written three volumes and has just released Volume IV for 2008.
The "Cosmic History Chronicles" series is considered to be some of Dr. Argüelles' best work to date and each of these volumes are extremely rich and detailed in their content and theories.
Another of his more interesting works is "Time & The Technosphere: The Law of Time in Human Affairs," released in 2002 where Dr. Argüelles documents the huge dichotomy that exists between the artificial, man-made world, that he terms the technosphere, and the natural, harmonious world, that he refers to as the biosphere. He boils it all down to the differences that lie between the Gregorian twelve-month calendar and the Mayan thirteen-month as the heart of this dilemma.
Dr. Argüelles began writing extensively about the Mayan calendar beginning in 1987 with his first book, "The Mayan Factor." Other of his noteworthy books include, "Surfers of the Zuvuya," released in 1988, "Earth Ascending" released in 1998 and ""Dreamspell: The Journey of Timeship Earth 2013 Kit" released in 1990.
Not only is José Argüelles an amazing writer, thinker and philosopher, but he also is an accomplished artist. Many of his books feature his beautifully precise artwork and detailed paintings to magnificently illustrated his complex theories and research.
Nonetheless, José Argüelles is a controversial figure, in part because he proposes ideas and hypothesizes that lie far outside the realm of traditional thought, particularly on his interpretations of the Mayan calendar. For this he has been roundly criticized, which only raises suspicions that he must indeed be on to some very important discoveries.
Once you begin to explore the incredible body of work that José Argüelles has created thus far, you can't help but to be marveled, impressed and inspired! Truly, this is a man that has a special gift and a calling to educate the world on some profound understanding and wisdom.
JOSÉ ARGÜELLES BOOKS (in chronological order)
"The Cosmic History Chronicles" series:
– "Book of the Initiation: Time and the Hidden Order Cosmic History Chronicles, Volume IV" (with Stephanie South-Red Queen) (2008)
– "Book of the Mystery: Art and the Imaginal Realm Cosmic History Chronicles, Vol. III" (with Stephanie South) (2007)
– "Cosmic History Chronicles, Vol. II: Book of the Avatar" (2006)
"Cosmic History Chronicles, Vol. I: Book of the Throne: Cosmos, the Absolute Pole. The Law of Time and the Reformulation of the Human Mind" (with Stephanie South) (2005)
– "The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness" (2004)
– "Time and the Technosphere: The Law of Time in Human Affairs" (2002)
– "Galactic Meditation: Entering the Synchronic Order" (2003)
– "Living through the Closing of the Cycle, A Survival Guide on the Road to 2012" (2003) (available as a free download)
"Tiger and Dragon I Ching" (with Rowena Pattee Kryder) (2001)
– "The 28 Meditations on the Law of Time" (2000)
– "The Arcturus Probe: Tales and Reports of an Ongoing Investigation"(1997)
– "20 Tablets of the Law of Time and the UR Book of Universal Life" (1997)
– "The Call of Pacal Votan: Time Is the Fourth Dimension" (1996)
– "The 260 Postulates of the Dynamics of Time" (1996)
– "The Rinri Project Circumpolar Rainbow Bridge Experiment" (1996) (available as a free download)
– "The World Thirteen Moon Calendar Change Peace Plan (July 26, AD 1995)" (with Lloydine Argüelles) (1995)
– "The Transformative Vision: Reflections on the Nature and History of Human Expression" (1992)
– "The Thirteen Moons in Motion" (1992)
– "Earth Ascending: An Illustrated Treatise on Law Governing Whole Systems" (1988)
– "Surfers of the Zuvuya: Tales of Inter-Dimensional Travel" (with Marilyn Ferguson) (1988)
– "The Mayan Factor: Path Beyond Technology" (1987)
– "Mandala" (1972) (with Miriam Argüelles)
– "Seven Years Mystery of the Stone, Resurrection of the Soul in Time"(2004)
– "7:7::7:7 Telektonon Revelation, Radial Matrix Plasma Universe Model" (1998)
– "Telektonon, Prophecy of Pacal Votan" (1994)
– "Dreamspell: The Journey of Timeship Earth 2013 Kit" (with Lloydine Argüelles) (1990)
[ top of page ]
José Argüelles Videos and Audio continued on page 3
Part 3: Videos/DVD's and Audio | Part 1: Overview